Do you like couscous?
I had a particularly good meal at a local restaurant recently that served grilled chicken with a side of couscous that had been tossed with some toasted pistachios and a little harissa. I ate every last semolina granule on my plate.
Inspired, we made our own version, with pistachios and some chopped dried apricots, red onions, lemon juice, and parsley. So good! Especially with grilled chicken.
It would be good with a Moroccan chicken tagine too. The dried apricots provide sparklettes of sweetness that balance well with the pistachios, lemon, and onions.
Do you have a favorite preparation of couscous? Please let us know about it in the comments.
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 10-ounce box of couscous, about 1 1/3 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios*
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Optional 2 teaspoons harissa, prepared or homemade (see this Paula Wolfert harissa recipe)
*If you only have access to shelled roasted pistachios, use them and skip step 2 in the method instructions. http://mizanticaret.com